Wednesday 15 September 2021

Module One - Seeing your Practice Seeing your Self

 Today we had a discussion with Module One students and started the process of unpacking what we feel our Professional Practice to be. We talked about our Practice (what we engage with on a daily basis around our discipline) sometimes feeling quite different from a job title (that is given to us - an imposed identity of sorts). We recognised how our practice can be multiple things and how the skills we learn in different contexts are transferable; working in a supermarket in customer service you might build skills in communication and patience that may be equally valuable in teaching dance to young children, juggling home-life, study, work committments may hone may teach you a lot about time management for example.. 


Module One is asking you to identify and reflect on key Areas of your past Learning experiences (we refer to these as AOLS) and to engage with three lenses as ways of looking at your practice as you establish yourself within it. The Lenses are introduced in your module handbook with tasks for you to work through to help you actively build your understanding of them. All of this helps you to map the landscape of your professional practice.

 

Those that were a part of this discussion please do comment here with links to your blogs so that we may continue the conversations with each other - 





The session was recorded and is on unihub for your reference.




The session was recorded and is on unihub for your reference.

19 comments:

  1. my blog address is: portiarobinson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Portia, do post your thoughts following the last session too so that we can take that conversation further...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes of course, I found last night zoom session to be very overwhelming but I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who didn't know exactly what my practice is. Reading the handbook this morning helped me to make even more notes within my field and I will continue to do this until I really corner my practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blog address is https://melissaibrown.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    My Blog address is rielballet.blogspot.com
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riel, do blog about the session though, the idea is that you link people here to what you have written about the session...

      Delete
  6. I am struggling to locate the recorded session, please could any fellow BAPP students point me in the direction of the named folder where I might find this? I have searched our page as well as the Module 1 page, Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recording is on your BAPP ACI programme page on unihub right at the bottom of the folders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the session really insightful. It was helpful to have the different areas broken down to help us pinpoint our practices and areas of learning. I have linked my blog page where I have explored further https://scbapp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen, I too found the session really insightful and I find myself coming back to the question of what my practice is a lot over these past few days. I also summarised and explored the session on my blog https://casbondblog.blogspot.com/ where I explore my thoughts and feelings further.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen, I found the session to be challenging in that it asked me to define my practice for the first time. When we considered that your practice can be and is more than just the discipline you trained in, it was eye opening to me. I discussed this more in my blog post which is linked: https://rosieclaybapp.blogspot.com/2021/09/seeing-yourself-and-seeing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Helen and all! I thought the session this week was really good and helped me to unpack my practise a bit, have shared my thoughts in my blog (hope it works as very new to blogging) https://anettetaimisto.wixsite.com/website

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Helen, I didn't manage to get onto the zoom session last Wednesday as I was teaching, I have just seen on these com I have made a start to my blog so I shall attach the link for all to see and I cant wait to read everyone else's and get involved.https://shannoncollinge15.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Helen,
    My blog account is kamille-michelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great thoughts through your blogs everyone, thank you.. do comment on each others and 'follow' each others blogs to build connections and conversations now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded a widget that allows you to follow me I think if we all do that then it's easier to keep up with what we are all posting.

      Delete
  16. Hi Helen, My blog address is: https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blog/posts/3387942082253698991

    ReplyDelete