Sunday 14 February 2021

Being-in-process

The Power of Vulnerability - 

Brené Brown

Sharing this TEDtalk as it reflects on some key moments you may be experiencing through your journeys on BAPP - perception, story-telling, research and places being vulnerable in the process as part of the process of not knowing, the process of learning. Brown also acknowledges the committment to her research (10 years) and the ebbs and flows of this - as you begin to identify areas of inquiry (module two) or set out on undertaking your research (module three), as reminder that you are not setting out to answer questions, or solve the World's problems in a 12 week inquiry project - you ARE setting out to explore an area of your practice more deeply in order to perhaps know it differently. 

 

What are you thoughts?


 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Helen.

    I found this both insightful and entertaining.

    As a dance teacher, the speaker's points regarding connection and the ability to open up couldn't be more true- It fueled my line of thinking to my own practice.
    Should we not be able to deconstruct ourselves,within our practise and extend ourselves the simple kindness of vulnerability then we limit yourself to develop a holistic understanding of our practice.

    I really found this a real eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen. What an eye opener, especially in this current moment as I start Module Two. I will be blogging about this soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very helpful and allows actually a different way of approaching the start of finding your inquiry. Just like in M1 where we had the AOL we could start of with three different inquiry topics and decide from those where we want to go. As apposed to trying to find the perfect sentence straight away. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen,
    I have also done a blog about this Ted Talk. It is really interesting to see her perspective within research. https://alysmay.blogspot.com/2021/02/vulnerability-in-research.html
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I found this video extremely insightful. Really opened my eyes to see how I protect myself from feeling vulnerable and how in doing so I have shut out any other feelings such as happiness and gratitude. There is that underlining feeling that we are all in search for and that's this feeling of 'Total Happiness' we long to feel it, we search to find it, but without allowing ourselves to live vulnerably we are unable to find it. Self acceptance and this feeling of worthiness that comes from a place of self love is something that seems really hard to reach and I for one hate this idea of being 'vulnerable' so I numb it and in doing so I am not allowing myself to feel those feelings I long for.


    Thank you
    Really helped me with my M2 and developing my question.

    ReplyDelete