Saturday 4 April 2020

Drafts and feedback

Trust yourselves in the process...

Great to receive your drafts of work earlier this month ... as we move into the spring break now please note that the last date for sending drafts for all modules has now passed (end March), please do not continue to send drafts of work now. 

A note here for your consideration moving forwards from this point and looking at the value of drafts and feedback in furthering your thinking...


Drafts are intended to initiate a feedback dialogue (skype, via email) with your supervisor, they are not usefully used to ask if things are 'right' or sent with an expectation of receiving corrections, by way of a pre-marking opportunity.

Please do receive feedback as an extended discussion of your work

Often feedback contains prompts for further reading, suggested texts/practitioners to look at, comments regarding the level of critical thinking/analysis in your writing over overly descriptive personal narrative approaches etc.. Feedback comments are not telling you to 'correct' something and re-submit, but more trying to help you to move your thinking and writing on as we see the process of your work developmentally.

With this in mind, when you have received feedback on a draft of work, please take time to read and consider comments made, come back to your supervisor if you have further questions which extend the conversation, (not by asking for more comments on the same things that have already been commented on) but arrange a skype is you have further thoughts and questions as a result of the feedback.

You are all working as professional people within your industry and as such we see our role as supervisors as guding you, being a critical friend, promting, pushing your thoughts, challenging you in order for you to develop your thinking further. We are not testing you getting things 'right' we are interested in your engagement and curiosity about your own work. This is pivotal to your development and to the Programme.

Learn to trust yourself in the process...in life

7 comments:

  1. Hi Helen
    This has been very helpful to read- especially as my default mentality is to just want reassurance! I will use the feedback I have received to further explore rather than just correct. I know this will provide a deeper learning experience where taking initiative will hopefully further my understanding.
    Here is the blog post I wrote after Friday's Skype discussion which had the Module 2 focus.
    https://sophiebapp.blogspot.com/2020/04/connectingthedots-skype-discussion-3rd.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Helen, I can completely relate with what your saying here and find that iv always needed that reassurance to allow myself to progress forward. I found from my draft feed back alone I was able to dig deeper into my thoughts and question myself more. Iv wrote a blog about my thoughts and how I got around them with the diagram section of modular one here if anyone is interested in viewing it. https://hannahleesbappblogs.blogspot.com/2020/04/diagrams.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen,
    This is really interesting and its something I'm trying to get used to with furthering my thinking. I'm learning that's it's not all about correcting but about getting myself to think in a deeper and more questioning way. I'm trying to push my thinking outside my comfort zone. Thank you! Alys

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a helpful post thank you Helen. Adesola is my supervisor, I am on Module 2. Adesola said to get the MORE form done Week 9 and the literature review. I was struggling to hand these in as I was in full-time work at the time, so Adesola told me to just hand in what I could. I was not aware there was an absolute deadline for handing in anything. Adesola gave me feedback on my consent form and my inquiry proposal. Since Easter break, I have sent the literature review, feedback form and my award rationale title form. Surely these need to be looked over at least once? Do you suggest me arranging a Skype after the 20th April? Thanks, Serina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so helpfull and informative.Keep updating with more information...
    IELTS Test British Council
    IELTS Full Course

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. hotpartystripper reviews

    ReplyDelete